09:10

Evaluation Questions

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of film openings)

Most of my inspiration was from the film 'American Splendor' and its opening sequence. I liked the way that the camera moved over the comic images and also the style of the comic images. When creating my comic's within 'ComicLife Magic', I tried to recreate the same style the comic's were in American Splendor, they were tinted brown, to give an old comic effect.



How does your media product represent particular social groups

My social group would probably be young adults and teenagers, most likely males. As my film is based on an action comic book and it involves someone waking from a coma to discover his powers, I think the social group I have stated above would fit well. 


What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


An institution that might want to distribute my idea would be any who are interested in comic based movies and action ones to be specific. Maybe the same distribution as American Splendor but I would think who ever distributed films like Spider man, Batman or The Crow, just because these films are closer to what I wanted my film to be like. A man with a dark history but a life full of action. I think they would enjoy those two elements combined and thats what would 'make' the movie. 


Who would be the audience for your media product?

My audience would most likely be from the age of 15-16 to the age of 30 but it depends on what the person who viewed it would be interested in, as my film is an action film based on a comic book, i would expect people who are interested in action and comic book based films to be my audience. 


How did you attract/address your audience?

I attracted them by showing within the opening that it was obviously based on  a comic book, from when you see the first comic book image come into screen. I also showed a few images to suggested action will be involved. These images were of the silhouetted character, pushing the main character of the roof and then seeing him dead on the floor. 


What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learnt that it takes more time and patients to create a finished product which looks professional and very visually clever or interesting. I felt like I need to produce a lot of versions of product before I got something which I liked and others thought were good to watch as well.
Working in Final Cut was fine but getting the images to work well with the titles was much harder than I thought it was going to be and in the end, I ended up putting the titles on the actual images and it look better than before. I think with making anything like I did with comic book images, trial and error is the best way to go, to make sure you have plenty of time to try things out to see if they work, get an opinion and then fiddle with it till it is perfect. I found with mine, that to do it right, was to get something good but to do it in a wrong way, was to get something which didn't look that great. 


Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

I think with mine it wouldn't make a huge amount but I think I did end up using it more than I thought. When making my footage for the end of the opening, I tried my best to take things out the shot which made it look more like a first aid room than a hospital room. As that shot was only a zoom in, I was precise in making sure the zoom in was only of a certain part of Kirk's body, starting from seeing his head to his lower legs, to just seeing his head. 
The rest of my sequence didn't really involve much continuity, but when making the image come in to frame, it turned out that having them come in from too many angles didn't fit well so making them read across a page made more sense. Also making sure the pictures were in the right order to tell the story with images correctly was a very important part. Without having them make sense, my sequence would be boring and quite pointless. 

0 comments: